Factory oil recommendations (was Re: [Farmall] parts

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Feb 2 05:16:16 PST 2006

Please remember that the recommended lubricants found in antique tractor
manuals were for the best available at that time. In the 30-60 years
since then, petroleum industry chemists have come out with far superior
lubricants to what was available back then. So today, even the cheapest
discount store brand multiweight oil is better for your tractor than the
best single weight non-detergent oil of 1955 (or whatever). Like the
writer below, I also use a good quality (NAPA) 15W-40 diesel grade oil
in everything - diesel truck, diesel tractor, a dozen gas tractors, lawn
mowers, etc. I buy it in bulk and pump it into everything but my chain
saws. I have never had an engine fail due to inadequate lubrication (or
any other reason).

I see the same myth being perpetuated about using Hy-Tran in IH
hydraulic systems, and those who claim that only Hy-Tran will work
properly resort to the same "it's in the manual" argument. What they
refuse to believe is that the modern "equivalent to Hy-Tran" hydraulic
fluids are far superior to the IH Hy-Tran of the 1948 era.

The lesson is that technology does not stand still. You wouldn't want to
be using he same tires they made in 1950, you don't use alcohol for
antifreeze, and anyone who lives in a colder climate would agree that a
12 alternator with solid state regulator is far superior to a 6 volt
generator and mechanical regulator. And it is the same with petroleum
products.

My opinion, of course, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Mike

Ferg8n9n at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/30/2006 7:42:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> jthall at worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> I  noticed you are using multi wieght oil. I don't know how much it would do
> to help but we never run anything but 30W, same as is reccomended by  IHC.
>

> i think factory oil is always a good idea. Since I have many engines in  both
> hot an cold climates, I use 15- 40 diesel oil in everything, and I have not
> had a problem since I quit penzoil in 1964. It cost no more.
>    By the way, in 1964 my mentor told me I would never, ever  see a pro
> mechanic put pennzoil in his own car, and i never  have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Truth is not only violated by falsehood; it may be equally outraged by
silence.  -Henri Frederic Amiel philosopher and writer (1821-1881)