[AT] Nice 40

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 1 22:35:03 PST 2006

Dudley, your right I have a working 40 and 50, gas tractors. But I did own a
40 exactly like the one pictured. Bought it as a parts tractor with a froze
up and cracked Perkins. Eventually sold the engine for parts and
transplanted a Buda diesel but never got any further with it. Still in the
back of the shed.
LPTO was a Cockshutt first dating back to 1946 when the Cockshutt 30 was
introduced. Live hydraulics came along shortly after but these were both
optional items and it was not uncommon to find tractors with neither hyd or
pto. In fact the 40 I have now was that way originally. They were an easy
bolt on option though and we got the necessary parts from a wrecker to
update the 40.
Power steering was very rare on these tractors. I can't recall the details
on the Perkins but that might just be a power steering pump behind the
diesel injection pump. I don't think you'd see the hoses on this one. They
had a horizontally mounted hyd. cylinder mounted behind the axle and the
grass is too long in this picture to see it.
Actually its unusual to see one this straight. The nose usually gets caved
in and the screens are missing. I have seen those parts going for big money
on ebay. Glad I've got a few spares out in the shed. They are like money in
the bank it seems.
This sale is a good long drive away from me otherwise I'd be surely tempted
by it.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/