[AT] Farmer's Road Trip

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Feb 1 08:24:06 PST 2006

On 1 Feb 2006 at 13:31, rasmith4 at juno.com wrote:

> Farmer
>
> Did you make the road trip to Sturbridge?  How did it go?
>
> Which route did you take?
>
> Richard
> In Central NY

	Yes, we made it Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. It
was supposed to be just be three days but it took longer
than we expected. I am sure I passed close by a number of
list members and would have given my eye teeth to have made
a batch of stops but it was just not to be. We plan to make
another trip to that area before too long and I hope we can
do some visiting then.
	This trip came about as an escape trip... Dealing with two
failing mothers is really dragging us down and we just got
to the point that we said that we had to break loose or go
nuts.   :-)   Our lives have become one big string of
doctors, hospitals, waiting rooms (and not one damn decent
magazine in any of them) and problems... Insurance
companies, lawyers etc...
	The trip went well and neither cell phone rang even
once...   :-)   We did make a couple of calls home.
	We were trying to figure out a break and I happened to
spot what looked like a very good Shopsmith woodworking
unit on ebay that for some reason was selling well under
value. Some guys hate Shopsmiths and some guys love them. I
happen to love them for my particular purpose. I am on an
email list with almost 4,000 members that feel the same
way.   :-)   Anywho, when I saw that one I said here is an
excuse...  I fully expected it to sell for about $500 to
$850 (out of my buying range) but I bought it for $203 (I
am extremely pleased with it). I said OK, if we call the
trip vacation and pick it up the shipping is free...   :-)
 Or we can call it a business trip and say that the saved
shipping paid part of the vacation trip.   :-)
	I am clearing out part of my shop and setting up a
production wood shop. As I retire farther I plan to spend
more and more time in the shop doing what I like. This
Shopsmith is number 6. I really love the way they can be
used in speciality set-ups and by using all Shopsmiths I
can shuffle attachments and set-ups all over the place
since 5 are all the same model and everything will
interchange totally. The only one that is a bit different
is one I bought new in 1988 and it is newer than the
others. Almost everything will still interchange with it
too but a few things are different.
	Here is a pasted part of a post to the Shopsmith Users
Group (SSUG) about my planning:
      I want to spend much of my time from this point on in
my woodshop but I want and need ($$$) to do production
work.
While I don't find the SS set ups at all difficult, I do
want to be able to do setups and leave them intact at
times. I could of course go out and buy a couple of extra
table saws or an extra drill press or what-ever and
probably do it for less money than buying all of these SS's
but then what? "MAYBE" I could use some attachments on more
than one saw or more than one drill press. By setting up a
roomful of SS's (I have the room) I can switch accessories
all over the place and if I make a particular set-up on one
SS I can make any other set-upon about any of the others.
It is not like it might be if I make a set-up on my main
table saw then I have to tear it down because I really need
that saw for something else before I am done with the first
set-up. Even though a few things are specific to the one
model 510 I have, "everything" will interchange between the
rest of them... everything. The model 510 will be the one
that gets changed the most and will not normally be used
for long term set-ups.
      The main table saw will always just be a saw... Heavy
ripping will be done on the 5 HP Foley Bellsaw
Planer/molder/ripper. The long bed jointer will probably
never be touched as far as settings, it will just joint
boards.
      After a lot of looking and thinking I just couldn't
come up with a more flexible way to have the productive
shop I want than a small herd of Shopsmiths.
      Different strokes for different folks of course and
your milage may vary...   :-)
#####################################

	The trip route was east from here on I-70 to Columbus OH.
then up I-71 toward Cleveland and then up along Lake
Ontario to Buffalo NY. where we spent the night. I had
planned to stop there but had not told Diana. Saturday
morning we spent about 4 hours checking out Niagara Falls.
It was nice and peaceful being the off season. We fired
across upper NY on I-90 to Spring field MA stopping only
for gas, food and restrooms.   :-)   We picked up the
Shopsmith at the guys house shortly after dark at Monson
MA. and went back to Springfield to eat and find a motel. I
really wanted to run on over to the coast and see Plymouth
where a number of my ancestors landed both on the Mayflower
and later trips. I finally decide that we just didn't have
time and we dropped down from Springfield MA to Hartford CT
then cut out east to avoid NY City then down to I-80 which
we drove across PA then spent the night at Youngstown OH.
We hit I-71 again down to Columbus and I-70 back to Central
Indiana.
	The trip included a lot of long stretches where the mile
coming up looked just like the last 50 miles so there was
plenty of time to talk and think about things. No phones
ringing, nobody pulling in the driveway... It gave us a lot
of time to consider priorities and try planning as best we
can for the next few years. Also time to consider a few
hard decisions...
	There is one nice thing about a Shopsmith that a lot of
guys never consider. Most guys expect to have to haul one
in a truck or at least a van and tie it down. All it takes
is one long allen wrench, a 9/16" wrench and my soft faced
dead-blow hammer and I can have one apart and in my trunk
in 5 minutes.   :-)   They go back together just as fast.
	We had planned to drive "The White Knight" (Diana's 90
Lincoln Town Car) but it has developed a running problem
and I didn't have time to get it in proper condition for
the trip and feel sure about it. We ended up driving "Black
Beauty" which is my old 85 Lincoln Town Car. It only has
about 80,000 miles on it and is in excellent mechanical
shape but is throttle body fuel injected and does not get
near the gas milage as the later multi-port injected
engine. The multi-port routinely gets around 25 MPG or
better out on the road. The one we drove didn't do just
awful but the best we did was about 19 MPG. We drove on all
clear roads and except for a few light rains coming home it
was all dry. Beautiful weather. Road trips and buffet
restaurants do not go well together... The scales were
angry with both of us when we got home.   ;-)
	We have planned to make several trips over the next couple
of years and one will be back to that area just for site-
seeing especially around the Boston / Cape Cod area. We
both have ancestors buried in York and Lancaster Counties
of PA and I have a flock of them in VA that date back to
the the mid 1600's.

	BTW, I only recall seeing one antique tractor sitting out
by the road (about all interstate) for sale. It was a
Farmall, maybe a regular or F-20 ??? sitting on a blue
trailer, I think in PA. The next time we will drive more
side roads.

--
"farmer"

I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack
me at once.   :-)

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net