[Farmall] when is "too far gone"?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Dec 29 08:53:28 PST 2006

OK, let me try to be more clear. The tractors that Jim has on hand have
been partially torn down because something evidently went wrong with the
engines in the distant past. They have been sitting out in the weather
for several years with the sheet metal and heads off, parts
scattered/lost, tires probably beyond salvaging (they had sunk up to
their axles in mud), etc. So the engines *might* be rebuilt, but more
than likely they will have other problems that the owner discovered when
he tore them down and gave up on the machines - spun bearings, cracked
blocks, split radiators, warped heads, etc.

Now, if the tractors were some unusual make or an uncommon version of a
popular brand, it is conceivable that restoration might be worth the
effort, but a common Farmall H or M whose engine, tires, electrical
system, etc. are junk just doesn't seem worth the effort to make whole
when you can buy a virtually identical, but sound, equivalent for around
$1000. He also has a 340 in similar condition, and that might be a more
attractive candidate for restoration. But I "rescued" a 340 row crop
whose engine was still buttoned up tight and "ran when parked", and I
still had to spend a LOT of time and money on all the little things that
needed attention - replacing missing sheet metal, patching deteriorated
rims, replacing electrical components, repairing leaking steel hydraulic
lines, new seat, etc. <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_340/>
There is no hard and fast rule, but I would say that a 340 with some
missing pieces is a far different animal from a "plain vanilla" H/M with
a blown engine and bad tires.

Sure, if it was Grandad's first tractor or the one you grew up with,
then money many be no object. Or if you just want to brag that you took
a hunk of rusted metal and made it like it just left the factory, then
all bets are off. But if you are looking for a working machine to use
around the place and maybe fix up for parades, then you can do a lot
better than trying to bring a hulk back from the tractor graveyard.

Mike