[Farmall] when is "too far gone"?

soffiler at ct.metrocast.net soffiler at ct.metrocast.net
Fri Dec 29 06:44:43 PST 2006

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net>

>Based on my own experience, I would suggest the time to
>make that  determination is when the tractor is worth more
>in parts than as a whole  machine. When wheel weights are
>going for $100 each, radiators $300+, a  good head maybe
>$200, a drawbar $50, and so on, it doesn't take long for
>the parts value to add up quickly. A good front axle on a
>340U is  probably worth over $200, and a decent power
>steering unit for the same  machine at least that much.

With all due respect, Mike, I'm not sure that makes sense.
If I understand correctly, you're saying that a tractor in
decent condition (and better) is worth more complete than in
parts; and at some point as condition deteriorates, the
complete tractor eventually falls to a value that is less
than its individual (remaining, good) parts.

I submit that any tractor, in any condition, is *always*
worth more in parts than it is complete.

Steve O.