[AT] DOT Question

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Dec 25 15:10:26 PST 2006

rasmith4 at juno.com wrote:
> Merry Christmas from a very green Central NY.  I can't remember when we have had a green Christmas.
> Here is the DOT Question:
> I have noticed many of the trucks I see at the auction have DOT numbers on them.
It appears that this is a somewhat new requirement.  Does anyone know
what the rules pertaining to this are?

> I am running New York State Agricultural plates on my Dodge Ram 2500.  This classification permits me to
go anywhere and haul my own stuff but doesn't permit me to haul for hire.
> Richard
> In Central NY

DOT numbers are required for ANY vehicle over 10,000 hauling for hire.
OR for any Agriculture vehicle that crosses state lines.
OR if your running a bus/van with seating for 15 or more.
Couple more items on passenger hauling and hazardous materials

The requirement has been there a while but they started requiring the
large displays about 5 years ago.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/online-registration/onlineregdescription.htm

You are required to provide a U.S. DOT number at the time of
registration if your vehicle has a combined gross weight over 10,000
pounds and:

     * is used for commercial (business ) purposes, or
     * Has farm registration and crosses the state line.

This number, from the U.S. Department of Transportation, is issued to
the party (individual or company) responsible for the overall safety of
the vehicle.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York