[AT] Magazine scam

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Dec 21 18:25:43 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
        I am now up to about 6 subscriptions and we got a call yesterday
from a
neighbor lady just down the road on the same side north 2 houses wondering
why we were giving a subscription of "Golf" to her dead husband. The invoice
came today and we called the other neighbor down the road on the other side
to tell him it was a hoax. They had already figured it was a hoax and his
wife said he was threatening to send me one to "Scuba Diving".   ;-)   I own
a dozen lists and I am on a number of others including a bunch of genealogy
surname list. I have not seen any mention of it any place except in
connection with ATIS... It was either initiated by a current or former list
member or list information has been hacked. Otherwise it would be popping up
on other list. I own one list with over a thousand members, I will ask there
if anyone else has seen this happening. I'll let you know what I hear from
them.
        Since these are my close neighbors I am sure I am a specific target
since
these neighbors are not computer oriented. Their names are obviously coming
from some kind of directory based from my name since they are geographically
quite close.

--
"farmer"

######

	Today Diana ran across several more invoices that had gotten laid back and
some more came in the mail so I think we are up to a dozen at least. After
some study and a number of off list discussions with various people I am now
ready to go to the postal authorities and the Indiana Attorney General's
office. The main thing now is to end this nonsense and let the proper
authorities deal with the perpetrator in their own way.
	At first I thought that the ATIS files had been hacked but that is not the
case. Hacked is actually one of those overworked words that we sometimes use
generically. As always Spencer's files are well protected and fully secure.
What I now believe was the case is that general list information which is
open to all was just gathered from various emails and web searches using
directories etc acquired information on neighbors.
	Unless something remarkable comes up I am now done with this subject and
will only say that I would rather go into the New Year being me than being
the perpetrator...  Like I said before I worked for the USPS for a few years
and most employees were scared to death of the postal inspectors...  Sneaky
devils, always watching you from hidden locations. Full federal agents.

Now returning to old tractors and hopefully a certain level of seasonal
silliness.   ;-)

M E R R Y   C H R I S T M A S    E V E R Y B O D Y  ! ! ! ! ! !

--
"farmer"  -  ***** H A P P Y   H O L I D A Y S *****

If you cut a tree plant at least two to replace it...

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net