[AT] MM U Question

Bill "Bear" Hood mmman at netscape.com
Mon Dec 18 18:58:22 PST 2006

Joe
I have 6 U MMs both UTU and UTS and a couple of UBUs.   My service and parts manual is loaned out but the the best of my memory you need to do the following:

l.  block up under final drive safely
2.  remove PTO assembly  ( you may have to remove the transmission top cover but only on the UTU as I remember it)
3.  Straighten bull gear retaining nut lock (with little room in the rear end, I use a little heat to help straigten the lock ring flat)
4    Remove the bull gear retaining nut.

Remove axle housing to rear housing bolts and remove axle shaft and housing assembly as a  unit. Also the factory manual specifies using  Permatex or suitable thread sealant when re-installing the rear axle housing.

I do remember that the factory torque specs on the axle nut going back is 360 ft pounds.  Good luck and if you have more questions, just ask.  I do have extra axles for both UTU and UTS if you have a bad axle and can't find one locally.

Bear

"Life should not be a journey to Heaven with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne and strawberries in hand,,and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"