[AT] MM U Question

jahaze at aol.com jahaze at aol.com
Tue Dec 19 06:27:41 PST 2006

Thanks Bear,

My problem is a little unique.  I have a UG with a broken rear axle.  The UG is the American grader conversion using a MM U with a unique serial number (mine is #79 out of 100).  The rear end has a UG tag, so I don't know if it has anything special inside or not.  I do know that it had a locking differential to prevent rear wheel spin while opperating ( I have already removed that).  The axle does not have the big nut on the end like most U's, I think it is held in by a locking cap on the outside of the housing.  I took this off, but have not been able to get the axle out of the bull gear.  I can move the axle (with a lot of force) about five inches into, and out of the bull gear, but it hangs up with about 2-inches of the axle still in the bull gear. This unit did not have a PTO, I have taken off the rear cover, and the top cover so I have as much access as I can get.  The only thing I haven't done is remove the axle housing, but it sounds like that need to be my next step.
  The problem is it requires me to to completely dissasemble the opperators platform, and work aorund the heavy steel structure that makes up the grader frame.  It's no easy task, so I keep looking for another option.

Is there some kind of retainer ring between the axle housing and the bull gear that's keep the axle from sliding out? I've been working on it on and off for about three years and am determined to get it done in 07.  From the offers I have received for it, this might be my ticket to a new pole barn!

Thanks for your help, I'm stuck.

Enjoy, Joe