[AT] Whats ?

kgw gwaugh at wowway.com
Sun Dec 17 04:36:36 PST 2006

farmer, it is so refreshing to read this sort of thing.  Today, it seems
like every "deal" one makes is cut-throat, and you have to keep an eye
out for your back at all times.  To me, the idea of operating on the
"lowest bid wins" is almost always a bad option.

We had our house re-roofed a few years back.  I told my wife I wanted
one particular fellow to do it, and I would go up to a 20% premium.  He
has done work for people I know for 20 years, and ALWAYS responds to
call-backs, questions, etc.  Man, this is worth some money up front.
And actually, his bid was within 10% of the other one I got.  Cheap
insurance is how I look at it.

In your case---you were willing to settle for less up front---yet you
got exactly what YOU wanted, you were COMFORTABLE---but many people
would have dealt only with the crew that offered the best sounding deal
up front.

Sheesh, I wish there was more common sense around....

Gene Waugh
Elgin, Illinois USA