[AT] Affordable paint recommendations?

Terry Welch terry1955 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 17 05:58:30 PST 2006

The Omni line is PPGs lower priced brand same with Dupont's Nason. My son and I painted his Farmall about 4 years ago with Nason and it still has a great shine to it. It did at the time run about $20 per gal more than paint from Case-IH. I will be painting a Cat 20 with the Nason in the spring. When I look at paint I look for ease of care, long life, and durablity for use. I have painted a couple of my tractors with Imron, Pricey yes, But it fills all the things I am looking for. Some times you get what you pay for with paint. There used to be a paint company owner on this list and he told us that. If you want to go with lower cost paints from the local tractor supply stores use hardner and wear a good mask to protect you from the chemicals in the hardner. The hardner will make the paint last much longer. It protects the paint from the UV sun rays. The UV rays is one of the biggest factor in paint break down(caucking and peeling). It is up to you as to how far and how much
 you want to spend on your tractor. As a old old body man I can tell you the biggest factor in a great paint job is the prep and undercoat that you use. You have to have a good foundation to start with or the what ever you put on it will not survive.
  Terry

"David A. Laughead Jr." <daljr at bright.net> wrote:
  Have you checked into the PPG Omni line? Some guys I know who restore
tractors swear by it. I am thinking it runs around a $100 gal.

Dave