[AT] Affordable paint recommendations?

Jim & Lyn Evans jevans at evanstoys.com
Sat Dec 16 17:55:38 PST 2006

The quick answer is no.  John Deere or Case-IH paint is good right from the
dealership if you use hardener.  The paint is 40-$50 a gallon and the
hardener is another $40 + $20 for thinner.  If that is what you are
painting, I would recommend the dealership paint.  If I can't get the right
color from the dealership I use Napa Crossfire acrylic enamel.  It will be
about $120 a gallon + $40 for hardener + $20 for reducer.

I am not a big fan of basecoat-clearcoat paints.  They are expensive, and I
find hard to paint with my cheap equipment.  They also would be hard to
touch up easily.  It is unnecessary on a tractor restoration.

A lot of the "expo quality" John Deeres are painted with implement paint and
then may or may not be clear coated.  A lot of the paint job is the painter
and not the paint.

Jim Evans