[AT] IH B275 Diesel

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Dec 12 05:56:34 PST 2006

Ron:

We have made two assumptions here. Assumption one is that these glow plugs
are supposed to be wired in series. And the second is that they are rated at
0.9V. If either one of these assumptions is incorrect then we are fencing
with windmills and all that follows here will be incorrect.

I just looked up some typical resistance on glow plugs and the ones I looked
at were 1.5 ohm at 12v or around 100 watts. To develop 100 watts at 0.9 V we
would have to have 110 amps of current. So something doesn't compute. What
is the part number of the replacement glow plug and what is it's wattage
and/or voltage rating?

The reason the glow plugs are burning up is probably the coil (ballast
resistor between the 12V source and the first of the in series glow plugs)
resistance is not appropriate for the system and too much current is
flowing. For example if that coil is shorted out the lowest wattage rated
glow plug will blow out immediately. Which sounds like what is happening.
the coil resistance should be at least 10 times the resistance of the
individual glow plug resistance if the 0.9V rating has any merit which I am
beginning to doubt quite seriously.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

"He who makes decisions in haste repents at his leisure."

www.deerelegacy.com