[Steam-engine] Re: How many remain?

James Hefner james1 at pernet.net
Tue Aug 29 14:36:41 PDT 2006

Paul Ward writes:

> ... It does not
> represent the numbers manufactured but does represent the number of engines
> remaining that in some way have been published.  How many are still hiding
> in barns?  Or have not had their SN's published we will likely never
> know.....

Looking at Blake's list, which seems to be based in part on published
numbers; engines that were non-operational and in a museum or stuffed and
mounted somewhere often go unreported.  I have 87 traction engines, 23
portables, and six rollers so listed; it is true that in many cases the
serial number is either not known or is not given.

The Western Development Museum in Saskatoon, SK, Canada has 82 traction
engines & 16 portable steam engines in it's collection; I only have a few
listed.  There are also branch museums in North Battleford and Yorkton; I
don't know if they are included in that total or not.

Throw in the ones sitting unknown in barns and fields and totally forgotten
in the woods and underwater; and I think they could easily double that
total.

 -James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project