[AT] O.T.--shootin' skunks (357 vrs 38)

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Aug 28 21:13:17 PDT 2006

ROTFLMAO!  I am not a shooter.  I have the distinction of having served
honorably in the US armed forces without ever having qualified on the
rifle range.  But I happen to have a really good friend who reloads and
has a formidable collection of firearms.  Also my good drinking buddy
(we frequent McDonalds regularly for "Senior Coffee") was in charge of
turret #1 on a destroyer during WWII.

So I asked the obvious questions today at coffee -- What is the terminal
velocity of a bullet, artillery shell, or whatever in free fall?
Assuming that it has a super-sonic muzzle velocity, how many seconds
does the projectile remain at super-sonic speed?

We haven't made all the assumptions necessary concerning air density,
etc, but this much we know -- the projectile is traveling at sub-sonic
speed within three or four seconds after leaving the muzzle of the gun,
and the maximum velocity of a bullet in free fall after having been
aimed high in the air is around 200 miles per hour.  For it to do
otherwise, violates a number of laws of physics.  I remember studying
about Galileo dropping cannon balls off the top of the leaning tower of
Pisa to prove the point about gravity.

Under the right conditions, a sky-diver could catch a bullet in his
teeth and not damage his dentures.

Let the flames begin.

Larry