[AT] O.T.--shootin' skunks (357 vrs 38)

Rick Weaver Rick_Weaver at hilton.com
Fri Aug 25 06:54:16 PDT 2006

I guess if you're in the boonies you can shoot indiscriminately and not
worry about where the bullet will land.

Mythbusters had a show a few weeks ago on whether a bullet fired up
would come back down fatally.

The answer is, if you fire it straight up to where the bullet begins to
tumble on the way down, it would smart a lot but not be fatal.

HOWEVER, if the bullet is fired enough horizontally to where it
maintains a ballistic trajectory, it will still be potentially fatal
when it hits.  In this case the bullet never loses enough velocity to
begin tumbling.

So, it isn't wise to shoot a rifle or handgun into the air with a rifled
bullet, unless you're shooting straight upward (a hard feat to get that
right anyway).

Rick