[AT] 6V vs. 12V ignition question

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Aug 25 08:10:21 PDT 2006

I am no authority on this, but I will give you my 2 cents: The coils
used in most of the older ignition systems were designed for 6 volts,
and when the manufacturers (or owners) changed to 12 volts, rather than
change the coil, they just put a ballast resistor in series with the
primary wire to reduce the voltage to the coil.

That being said, the condenser generally are not sensitive to something
as small as going from 6 to 12 volts, so I don't think that is your
problem.

If my all too frequent experience is any guide, I would look for
corrosion at the points - the current stuff coming in from abroad just
isn't as good as the points we used to get years ago (meaning they are
crap, if you really want my opinion). I have had points go to infinite
resistance in as little as a few months, if the weather is humid. The
only quick cure is to file the point with a good hard file, but that
won't help their longevity either, as it removes the supposedly
corrosion resistant coating. Don't count on the points "looking good";
you need a good voltmeter or ohmmeter (depending whether you are
measuring with the ignition on or off) to see if they are making good
electrical contact.

One suggestion give to me is to put a piece of paper moistened with
WD-40 in between the points when the tractor isn't in use. I keep
forgetting to try that. On my Ford 860, I am seriously considering going
to a Pertronix breakerless system, but I hate spending the $100 bucks
just to fix a dirty points problem.

Mike

Rick Weaver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem, and I haven't been able to diagnose it just yet, but
> wanted to ask a question.
>
> I have a 6V Ferguson TO-35 that is giving me fits.  I replaced the
> condenser last week and it fired right up.  Now it doesn't even cough
> and try to start.
>
> As I said, I haven't diagnosed anything (not even to see if the coil is
> sparking).  And I'm at work now so cannot go tinker.
>
> The question is: is there a difference between the condenser for a 12V
> system and one for a 6V system?
>
> The TO-35's went through a 6-12 V modification halfway through MHF's
> production, and I wonder if NAPA's crossref doesn't take this into
> account.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide,
> Rick

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious
enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer (1924-1987)