[Farmall] Farmall 340 Loader Question

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Tue Aug 15 09:54:40 PDT 2006

The first thing that comes to mind is a partially open relief valve, or
second, a worn pump although I don't think so. Possibly, a somewhat pluged
filter; although if the loader lifts at normal speed empty probably not the
filter. My 574 did that once. It would only lift the corn planter if the
tractor was wide open.  Took it to the dealer and it was the relief
valve.  I don't think you are going to get anywhere  until you check the
pressure of the system. My brother had a 340 for several years but I don't
remember what the pressure of that system should be. To check the pressure
you could take it to a dealer if one is close or do it yourself. All you
need is a one foot piece of hose, a coupler to plug into the tractor, and a
gauge. I just looked in the Northern Tool and Equipment book and a 5000 PSI
gauge is under $20 which is not the end of the world. Tell us what you find.
Greg Hass