[AT] Sickle mower ?

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Aug 14 06:30:17 PDT 2006

You put the word in your response that is the problem, Walt --
clearance.  With a bow in the bar, the clearance changes and the knife
starts skipping.  It's really bad on a Haban because the crank rotates
clockwise when viewed from the front.  That's typical of other brands
also, but since the pitman is only about one foot long that means that
the inboard end of the knife is lifted against the hold down fingers on
the return stroke.  So it has a tendency to skip with the slightest
provocation because it doesn't ride against the ledger plates.  It isn't
as much of a problem with mowers that have a pitman that's two or three
feet long.  On some models of Haban mowers, the drive shaft and crank
rotate vertically.  That makes a big difference when mowing fine
grasses.

Speaking of mowing, I finished the woodlot in back of the house last
night with the Kubota and I noticed that I really need to get the Haban
equipped Power King out early this week and mow the ditches and fence
rows again.  We happen to be located in a little pocket of the Ohio
valley that is several inches above normal in rainfall this summer.
Stuff is growing like crazy.

Larry