[AT] GM Flex Fuel vehicles

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Aug 13 12:05:23 PDT 2006

We had some CNG fueled trucks about 12 years ago.  They were Chevrolets and
they used the Medium Duty truck engine so that it had stellite valves and
seats.  However, since that engine was a lower compression ratio, it got
only about 8 mpg...    This was a program by the OK sec of environment.  I
pointed it out to them that we needed about 10 or 12 to 1 compression ration
to get the full value of the anti-knock qualities of the CNG.....

It fell on deaf ears, they thought I was a fugitive from Roswell, and the
trucks were sold to one of the Governors friends and converted to
gasoline....

It was doomed to fail from the start.  The engineers worry about stellite
valves and seats, and I ran propane in my trucks for years on just the old
non-modified passenger car engines.  Never had any trouble...

Cecil in OKla