OT Snapping turtles (was Re: [AT] Some ads from the 8/12 LancasterFarming

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sun Aug 13 06:14:14 PDT 2006

Mike,  about 25 years ago I worked for a company that provided me with a
Toyota diesel pickup truck.  We have a lot of snappers and big one's around
here but one day when I was in the company truck I saw the biggest one I've
ever seen.  I stopped to take a look at him.  I'm guessing his shell was 14
to 16 inches from front to rear.  He was walking into the roadway when I
stopped near him. I got a piece of wood moulding about 4 feet long out of
the bed of the truck and stuck it to his head to see if he'd lock onto it.
That thing totally ignored the stick, raised up on his toes so that his
shell was close to 4 inches off the ground and made a break for my feet!
I jumped back into the truck.  Luckily I left the door open.  I decided I'd
had enough of messing with him and started to drive off. As I did he was
trying to bite the back tire of the truck!

I know that sounds like a tall tale but I swear to you it's the truth.
That was one mad snappin turtle.

Charlie