[AT] Detroits

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sat Aug 12 19:57:37 PDT 2006

(More in my attempt to catch up on 2 weeks worth of email)  Watch out, this is
long.

On Monday 31 July 2006 08:59, Larry D. Goss wrote:
> Hey, does anyone know what the proposed changes in Diesel fuel for 2007
> are?  I was talking to a man a couple of days ago who has a son working
> for Cummins.  They are currently headed for New Mexico for a couple
> weeks of testing on their new engine line before starting production for
> compliance with 2007 fuels.  Since none of the fuel is available along
> the route, they have to spot tankers at dealerships along the way for
> refueling both coming and going.  Supposedly, they did the sub-zero
> testing in a big controlled environment setting close to St. Petersburg,
> Florida.

Engine manufacturers told the federal government that there is no way they can
meet 2007 emissions regulations with what then passed for diesel fuel.   So
the federal government (working with lots of groups) created a new standard
that allows 2007 diesel engines to meet the requirements.   The main change
is sulfur levels go to 15 ppm max (from 500, except much higher in Alaska).
Fuel now has to supply some level of lubrication (contrary to popular belief,
Sulfur is NOT a lubricant, however the only cheap ways to remove sulfur
remove some of the better lubricants, thus the belief that sulfur is a
lubricant), where previously there was no requirement.   (The switch to LSD
killed a lot of pumps years ago, so this requirement is intended to prevent
those problems)   There will also be a slight loss of energy in the fuel, but
few will notice even if they watch milage (there is a much greater loss from
the new emissions equipment).

If you buy a model year 2007 diesel car/truck, there will be a large fine (up
to $10,000 from what I hear, but I know of now official number) for using the
wrong fuel, so watch out.    A few model year 2007 engines produced in 2006
are exempt from this, but not all (this might just be in theory, I don't know
of any that are exempt, but they manufactures can get this exemption).   It
will be easy to tell if you violate this once, as it will destroy the
emissions equipment, and the first mechanic who looks at the car will be able
to tell that.

Starting June 1, 2006 (over a month ago) 80% of the (hiway) diesel fuel
produced must be ULSD.   (It will be 100% in 2010 by current plan, but what
plan lasts that long?).   Also by law, all diesel pumps must be labled if
they are low sulfur or ultra-low sulfur (same date that has already passed).
Refineries are producing about 7ppm fuel, to allow some contamination between
them and the pump.

By October 15, 2006 80% of all retail pumps must be ULSD.   Right now retail
stations are getting rid of the stored fuel, and mixing ULSD to lower the
sulfur levels in their tanks.   Come October they will start testing, the
tanks that are < 15ppm will get the ULSD sticker (except for a few stations
that intend to sell the current LSD - they won't be tested).  Stations are
hoping that mixing ULSD now will get the contamination out of enough tanks
that they can meet the 80% requirement without having to take tanks/pumps
down for a full cleaning.

The dates are different for California (California doesn't require a sticker
because come October all the diesel will be ULSD), and non-hiway uses, but
the sulfur numbers are going down everywhere.

Now, what does it mean to you?    If you buy a 2007 diesel, make sure you get
the right fuel, as you don't want to be caught with the wrong stuff.

If you have a pre-2007 diesel, it won't matter much.   There is a theoretical
loss of energy from the new fuel, but it is not likely you will notice
outside a lab.   Sulfur tends to increase soot, so your engine might burn
cleaner, but there are plenty of other factors in soot production so don't
count on seeing a difference.

In most cases it won't matter anyway.   In many areas you will have no choice
as the only pumps you will find will be ULSD (in Alaska there is only one
refinery that can produce on road diesel, and they produce nothing but ULSD).