[Farmall] Painting F-20

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 5 10:50:17 PDT 2006

I do my own cleaning and painting so here is what I do on my stuff. First
off I'm not retired so I don't have 10 hours a day 7 days a week to dedicate
to my iron. Therefore I clean and paint when I can. Right now time is so
scarce that I am dissasembling, cleaning, priming and painting in
sections(I'm also playing mechanic at the same time.) Normally it is not
enough to justify using a big spray gun so I use good quality spray can
paint and primer. I feel its the best I can do given the amount of time I
have to work on it. I am sandblasting everything so rust is not an issue. If
you are wirebrushing you may want to use also a rust converter. Some of them
leave brush strokes on cast iron so a little trial and error sampling may be
in order. As for sheet metal (hoods fenders etc.) you'll proablaly be
happier with at least using a real spray gun for painting and probably for
priming as well---but with sheet metal there are things such as dents and
pits to fill so that can get to be a real education.

John Hall