[AT] GM Flex Fuel vehicles

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Aug 1 20:11:49 PDT 2006

If your Jeep is designed to run on it then you won't have a problem.
Take a vehicle that isn't designed to run on it and you will have
problems with the emissions and with the way the engine runs as well.
Just a fact of the content of the energy and the burn characteristics of
the fuel. Oh and another small item, you do know it is illegal to run
E-85 in a vehicle that isn't supposed to run it? That falls under the
same laws as running leaded gas in a vehicle that uses unleaded. The
feds consider it emissions tampering and they have shown that it
pollutes almost twice as bad as a vehicle designed for it. Been reading
up on those items due to folks having drivability concerns with vehicles
that they put E-85 in when it called for unleaded. The worst thing is
that your supposed to drain the system, connect to a portable fuel
system and then test the engine that way. Really making it a pain.
Personally I'd rather see them just make all the vehicles flex fuel and
be done with it.

TEL was once used extensively as an additive in gasoline for its ability
to increase the fuel's octane rating (that is, to prevent its premature
detonation in the engine) thus allowing the use of higher compression
ratios for greater efficiency and power. In addition some of the lead
was deposited on the valve seats and helped protect them against wear.