[AT] New product panics (was) Detroits

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Aug 1 07:08:22 PDT 2006

On 1 Aug 2006 at 8:06, charlie hill wrote:

> Jim I was repeating something I heard on a radio talk show.  I can't
> remember exactly which one but it was one of the vehicle repair/advice shows
> on XM Satellite radio.  I don't know if it correct or not but it was
> supposed to be a very recent notice.  It might be totally rumor for all  I
> know.   I was only half way listening as I was driving.  I think they were
> saying something about buildup on the valves but I'm not sure.
>
> Charlie

	Most of us that have been knocking around for a while
(which is probably most of us)   <(^¿^)>   can probably recall
all sorts of new developments that came with all manner of
the most dire warnings... We also recall that most of those
warning were totally groundless in the real world. The ones
that were real were usually sorted out in the first few years.
	My mother bought a new Dodge Aspen SE wagon in 1978.
 Lean-burn 318.
 She started out from the very first tank of fuel burning absolutely
nothing but gasohol. The horrible warnings were coming out of
the woodwork about how it was going to ruin everything from the
gas tank to the oil drain plug.   <(^¿^)>   She drove it daily for
maybe 16 years without problem. When she bought another car
I took it and drove it another 5 years or so. It was still a good car
when I sold it and all that was ever replaced was the computer
box twice, a starter and an alternator, maybe a water pump...
We listend for years to warnings about how we were ruining it.
	Back years ago when radial tires were somewhat new it was
 announced often that if you took one off you HAD to put it back on
turning the same direction. When you rotated them it WAS REQUIRED
that they be remounted turning the same direction. The warnings
were so dire that you were almost afraid to use reverse...   <(^¿^)>
I never gave it a huge amount of thought, it was just what you were
supposed to do. Then one day I happened to notice that there were
 no direction arrows and the used (and recap) tire business
ignored direction completely when mounting or dismounting except
for whitewall in or out...
	Another was the "end of the world" warnings about mixing radials and
bias ply tires on the same car. Then it was OK to mix if the fronts and
 rears were pairs. I don't even recall now but I think that the bias were
supposed to go on the back. While I run all radials now I have ran (and
so have a lot of other people) all sorts of tire mixes in daily driving
without any problem. Now I wouldn't recommend that for speed demons
or on race cars but if you drive the speed limit if it affects handling in a
serious manner you car has other problems.
	BTW, it was not too long after all of those most dire warnings
about bad handling that
they then started issuing us those truly stupid little awful handling space
 saver spares which many people seem to think are OK to run 80 MPH on.
I equate them to putting a work boot on one foot and a flip-flop thong
shoe on the other. (we used to call them "thongs" but that means another
item these days.   <(^¿^)>

	How many other "mostly groundless" (in the real world) dire warnings
can you remember from over the years?

--
"farmer"

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be
continually fearing you will make one."
Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

Refurbished Shopsmith's
Good used SPT's