[Farmall] 100 breaking crankshafts

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 30 04:24:54 PDT 2006

If I ever here the "rest of the  story" on this one I'll be sure to let you
guys know. While it may not be proper to drive the pulleys on, I've seen it
done too many times without problem. Also seen it done properly using a
piece fo threaded rod--my prefered method.  Another reason I doubt that is
the cause is because the 1st shaft broke in the same manner,and the owner
hadn't been doing any work on the tractor that I am aware of. Dad
reccomended the guy take the engine to the guy that does our machine work.
I'd never use that block until it was checked for alignment thru the mains.

Related story--I was working on an F-12 for a guy. I had the pan off for
some reason. I looked up and the block had been welded on the inside all
around the front main. Wonder how long it was ran after that? Can you have
the block line bored where the mains go? If so do the bearings then have to
be custom made?

John