[AT] Fwd: 100 years ago

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Apr 27 09:37:37 PDT 2006

As far as the fact that 2 out of 10 adults could not read or write, I
question that, as public schooling, at least through the fifth grade,
had been around for at least a century in this country. In fact, I
suspect that, aside from immigrants, most adults were probably more
literate than adults today - the main source of news and entertainment
was reading newspaper and books.

Richard Fink Sr wrote:
> Interesting
> R Fink
>

>> This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine...   The year is 1906.
>> One hundred years ago. What a difference a century makes!   Here are
>> some of the U.S. statistics for the Year 1906:   The average life
>> expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.   Only 14 percent of the homes in
>> the U.S. had a bathtub.   Only 8 percent of the homes had a
>> telephone.   A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost
>> eleven dollars.   There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144
>> miles of paved roads.   The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10
>> mph.   Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more
>> heavily populated than California.   With a mere 1.4 million people,
>> California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.   The
>> tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!   The average
>> wage in the U.S. was 22 cents per hour.   The average U.S. worker made
>> between $200 and $400 per year.   A competent accountant could expect
>> to earn $2,000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian
>> between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about
>> $5,000 per year.   More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took
>> place at home.   Ninety percent of all U.S. doctors had no college
>> education. Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of
>> which were condemned in the press and by the government as
>> "substandard."   Sugar cost four cents a pound.   Eggs were fourteen
>> cents a dozen.   Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.   Most women only
>> washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for
>> shampoo.   Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from
>> entering into their country for any reason.   Five leading causes of
>> death in the U.S. were:   1. Pneumonia and influenza 2. Tuberculosis
>> 3. Diarrhea 4. Heart disease 5. Stroke   The American flag had 45
>> stars.   Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska hadn't been
>> admitted to the Union yet.   The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was
>> only 30!   Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea had not been
>> invented yet.   There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.   Two out
>> of every 10 U.S. adults could not read or write.   Only 6 percent of
>> all Americans had graduated from high school.   Marijuana, heroin, and
>> morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner
>> drugstores. Back then the pharmacist said, "Heroin clears the
>> complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and
>> bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."   Eighteen
>> percent of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant
>> or domestic help.   There were about 230 reported murders in the
>> entire U.S.   So, to think I forwarded this from someone else without
>> typing it myself, and posted it to you in a matter of seconds!   Try
>> to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Permanent good can never be the outcome of untruth and violence. -Mahatma
Gandhi (1869-1948)