[Steam-engine] lubricating oil

CopperheadMarine at aol.com CopperheadMarine at aol.com
Tue Apr 25 19:22:46 PDT 2006

I have a Skinner engine that I will be setting up to run a saw mill. It is
similar to a Troy in that it is not lubricated by greasers or drip oilers. It
has a gravity oiling system. The oil is below the engine in a reservoir it is
pumped up into an oil water separator and then it gravity feeds the over flow
to  the crosshead and the main crank bearings. The rod is splash lubricated
as far  as I can see. At the bottom of the case water is separated and then oil
runs  back into the reservoir.

  OK here is the question. Does anyone know what type of oil to use in  this
application? Conventional oils emulsify or mix with water and make this
creamy buttery mixture.

I was thinking of a mineral based cutting oil like what is used in a valve
grinding machine.

Any comments or suggestions?

Charlie

-------------------------------1146018166

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2873" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>I have a Skinner engine that I will be setting up to run a saw mill. It=
 is=20
similar to a Troy in that it is not lubricated by greasers or drip oilers. I=
t=20
has a gravity oiling system. The oil is below the engine in a reservoir it i=
s=20
pumped up into an oil water separator and then it gravity feeds the over flo=
w to=20
the crosshead and the main crank bearings. The rod is splash lubricated as f=
ar=20
as I can see. At the bottom of the case water is separated and then oil runs=
=20
back into the reservoir.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>  OK here is the question. Does anyone know what type of oil to us=
e in=20
this application? Conventional oils emulsify or mix with water and make this=
=20
creamy buttery mixture.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I was thinking of a mineral based cutting oil like what is used in a va=
lve=20
grinding machine.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Any comments or suggestions?</DIV>