[Steam-engine] Welded boiler certification?

George Erhart g_erhart at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 07:11:20 PDT 2006

My understanding is that Ohio will certify a previously repaired boiler at the first inspection. (This was true at the point the new inspection started, it may have changed by now.) After that point, all repairs/modifications must be accompanied by the proper paper work and be done using proper methods and materials. Now, I am not saying that they will rubber stamp any old boiler. I attended the inspections in Urbana, Ohio when they started the new inspection and certification program. Basically, they were spending as much as 2-4 hours inspecting each engine. This included pinging all stays, visual inspection of all surfaces, inspection of all pipes and valves, and the hydro. Owners were told to point out ALL previous repairs to the inspectors. The inspectors could use UT if necessary when they thought something might be marginal. In that inspection, there were 4 engines (See my web site www.grotonengine.tzo.net for pictures), and one of the engines (a Huber) failed the
 inspection because of thin areas near the front hand-holes. It also had a valve in the steam line that was not rated for the desired WSP. The owner of that engine had the necessary repairs made and the engine was eventually certified. Based on what I saw, I think the Ohio plan was great. The inspectors were very friendly. It was clear that they were NOT anti-antique boiler folks, but it was CLEAR that they were only going to certifiy a boiler that was safe. I think this was a great step in the right direction for Ohio.

George Erhart
Loveland, CO