[Steam-engine] Re:Water gauges

Robert Smith bobsmith5 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 8 11:11:24 PDT 2006

Hi All --

I am surprised to see the mention of problems with "seeing a reflex
glass".  I was thinking that the term "Reflex glass" applied to a boiler
gauge that I saw several years ago on a simple vertical boiler.

However after browsing the web for more info on "reflex" gauges, I came
across so-called "red-line" gauges and now understand things much
better.

Google search argument = "+red+line+gauge+glass"

http://www.kaufmanglass.com/red_line.htm

The "red-line" gauge seems ideal for outdoor and mobile boilers.  The
gauge glass features a narrow red stripe down the back of the gauge
which is then painted over with a wide white stripe.  The varying index
of  refraction of water vs. air/steam and the gauge glass cause the
water in the bottom of the gauge to show a wide red strip while the
steam/air portion in the top of the gauge shows the narrow red stripe.
Since the gauge glass is not enclosed in a dark, metal chamber like the
reflex gauge there is normally plenty of ambient light available to show
the contrasting widths.

Google search argument = "+reflex+gauge+glass"

http://www.mckenziecorp.com/boiler_gauge_glass.htm

This web location contains a good description of the working principles
of the 'reflex' gauge and mentions the lighting problem.

    Best wishes,

        Bob Smith