[Steam-engine] Re:Water gauges

Francis Orr steam.boat at verizon.net
Tue Apr 4 11:53:45 PDT 2006

Rick, I think it is interesting that there has only been one mention of
protection from a glass failure. That was to put a wire mesh around the
glass. Yes, that keeps out the big chunks but the steam and hot water are
still there. A piece of clear plexiglass will do that. It can be 3 or 4
sides in a framework, a section of plexiglass tube or if you can't find
that, a piece of flat plexiglass can be curved over a former put into your
oven (don't let your wife catch you!) You should be able to see how to mount
any of this.
The other item no one has mentioned is a reflex glass. This is what the big
boys use, a piece of prizmatic glass in a holder, mounted in the fittings
you have. Most of the steam boaters are going to this type of glass. We have
a supplier making beautiful new brass gauges. While a reflex glass wouldn't
be original on a traction engine, it certainly would be on your vertical
boiler. Look it up in  McMaster-Carr. By the way, those angled fittings on
your new acquisition are really nice.
Francis