[Steam-engine] Question please

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Tue Apr 4 05:57:17 PDT 2006

Guys and Gals;  Thanks for the answers on water columns !!  You've answered
my question well and helping out the edukasion.

  Re; the guage glass breaking, we picked up this Lunk. the other day.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/482243657/2689418490039077051wMQTKh

 It has two check balls that seal (hopefully), should the glass break.  I've
been redoing the seats and will get new checkballs.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/482243657/2683542830039077051juhOrz

http://community.webshots.com/photo/482243657/2204278030039077051SxijUw

 I didn't have much success lapping in a new seat.  Seems like it only
removed the gloss off of the ball, not seat.

  I found an old tapered cutter and it worked good.

  Turning the valve handle in some, will unseat the ball(s).

Now if I can just figure out what kind of packing was used on the glass.
There are no beveled edges either on the packing nut or stuffing box.

Best Regards
RickinMt.