[Steam-engine] Question please

James Hansen jhsg at sasktel.net
Sun Apr 2 15:53:02 PDT 2006

It also accommodates mounting the gauge glass vertically in a safe spot,
out of harm's way.  The only place to mount a glass so it is situated
vertically on a traction engine is at the back, where all the wood
chucking is going on.  Since this is where the people are, breaking the
gauge glass really sucks.  It's easier to read vertical glass than one
that is sloped.
Having a water column on the side of the boiler and more forward gives
the operator a better view of the water depth over the crown sheet at
the front of the sheet, which if the engine front is high, sees less
water than at the back.  On a long heavy engine, it's easy to have the
front wheels higher. (rears sink more, etc)
-James