[Steam-engine] Question please

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Sun Apr 2 12:12:32 PDT 2006

The water column provides a degree of isolation from turbulence inside the
boiler
and provides a place to mount trycocks, gage glass and low water alarms
without
having to bore all these holes in the boiler shell itself.  This also allows
the boiler shell
to be covered inside the brickwork mounting and smokebox in the case of
horizontal
return tube boilers, still providing a way to check water levels.
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy