[AT] Need more tractors

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Thu Sep 29 21:52:43 PDT 2005

After reading posts on this topic, I have decided I am in dire need of more
tractors.  I farm 110+ acres with only 2 tractors, a Farmall 856 and a
Farmall 574 (both over 35 years old).  The 856 does the plowing and the
field cultivating, which leaves the 574 to do all the rest: brush hog, crop
spraying, run the corn planter, grain drill, crop cultivating, running the
pull-type combine for edible beans.  As you can see, I am short many
tractors.  I am, however, better equipped with combines.  I have one IH 715
which does wheat and corn, one IH 715 that does soybeans, and an IH 82
pull-type for my 22 acres of edible beans.  I also have an IH 203 which I
have not used in several years since the sieves fell apart.  I have not had
the energy to find replacements and the IH 82 works as well or even better
for the edible beans.

To the young people on the list, I second Farmer's recommendation to never
live near your parents.  I have lived all my married life just across the
corner from my parents (400 feet away) and 200 feet from my younger brother
who lives on the corner straight across from me.  If you must live near
them, move at least a mile away and make sure it is not in the direction
they must go past to get to town.  From my dad's picture window, he could
always see every move that was made in my yard, and would always have
something disparaging to say about every move I made.  I was forced to do
chores night and morning every day of the year since I was eight years old,
so when I got rid of all the livestock 15 years ago, I decided to go to the
local coffee shop in the mornings.  Over a 2-hr. period approximately 20
farmers sit at the table at one time or another, most of whom farm much
more land than I do. If I would mention to my dad that I hadn't got a
certain job done, his first remark would be that I could have gotten it
done if I'd stay the he$$ home.  He died a year and a half ago after 10
years of Alzheimer's.  When we would ask my 4 sisters to help they would
just remark that they were glad we were close and could take care of him
and refused to help.  Since he's been gone, for the first time I feel free,
however, I am now in my mid-fifties and have some health problems such as
arthritis, which sort of takes some of the fun out of being free.  Had I
been able to foretell the future, I would have made sure I had moved at
least a few miles away.

PS I do have a Cub and a 185 Lo-Boy, however I do not consider them field
tractors as they are only capable of doing garden type work even though
they are a lot of fun.

Greg Hass