[AT] 50% OT: Corn furnaces

Dallas and Kathy pinecrestdairy at acsnet.com
Tue Sep 13 20:48:26 PDT 2005

My 89 year old mother purchased a corn stove last fall, because the wood for
the wood stove was getting to be a little too much for her. I am in charge
of the stove. I live 5 miles away. Most of the time it works very well. One
of the biggest drawbacks, when it is not super cold out, you can not have
just a little heat to take the chill off. Like in the fall and spring. Even
when the stove is turned down as low as possible, it will drive you out of
there in no time. Her stove uses about 2 pails of corn on the really cold
days of January. She does have propane back-up, but uses very little. The
stove needs to be cleaned quite often. When it is cleaned, there is always a
certain amount of fine black soot or ash spread over the room. The chimney
should be cleaned weekly as well. The corn must be clean with very little
debris  and it must be very dry. My nephew has a corn furnace hooked up to a
thermostat. He had problems at first with the stove going out because of
pieces of cob in the corn. He bought a grain cleaner to fan the corn, and
has since had no  problems. He swears by the stove.               Dallas