[AT] WHERE IS EVERYONE

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sun Sep 11 08:02:41 PDT 2005

> Since we seemed to have drifted off topic a little bit, I thought I'd help
> push it over the edge.  Fall is trying to start around here, the ferns are
> turning brown and a few of the maples are beginning to show signs of red leaves.  I
> can't help but think of the upcoming hunting season and my annual trip to SD
> and ND after those funny colored birds.  My boys (8 & 5) spent the better part
> of the day "hunting" out in the field looking for black bears and turkeys.
> They claim to have shot quite a few, but at least I don't have to clean their
> prey.  Even the dog is starting to get excited, I mention "birds" and he can
> hardly contain himself.
>
> The best part about the fall is getting out west and watching the harvesters
> hard at work and seeing the old farm machinery retired to the fence rows.
> It's always nice to know that in some places in the world things are still OK.
>
> Enjoy, Joe

	The first cool morning in September brings back memories of my
pheasant hunting as a kid in Minnesota and later after I retired, of
hunting in South Dakota. I've worn out two damn good German Shorthair
Pointers and one English Disappointer and miss my last dog a lot on the
first cool morning in the fall. She was 16 years old when it was time
for her to go to that place where she can hunt year around. It was only
a couple years ago but it takes a long time to forget a good dog.

	I thoroughly enjoyed South Dakota pheasant hunting. I'm one of
those who likes the old section line reserved roadways and spent most of
my time hunting along them - just me and the dog. Met some nice farmers
too and still have invitations to hunt their farms. Hunting section line
roads is a lot better with two people than with one alone but I managed.
When Lucille was along, she would drop me at one end of the road and the
dog and I would work the mile thru to the car - sometimes going right on
thru the next one also. I don't need a lot of birds getting up in front
of me to keep me happy - just a nice rooster once in a while is fine
with me.

	Hunting ducks in Saskatchewan was also a nice trip. We started
going out there - a group of us from western NY - in 1970 or so. We flew
from Toronto to Regina and hunted generally a hundred mile circle around
the city. A hundred mile circle takes in a lot of territory. I figured
on a case of 12 gauge shells for the week every year. Those were
different days as you walked on the airplane carrying your case of
shells in one hand the shotgun in the other. The stewardesses always
asked if they could help you once you got on the plane. Doors between
the cockpit and the cabin were mostly left open then too and you could
see out the front some. Sometimes I wonder if we realize how much of our
freedom we have lost in those 35 years since 1970. It is a different
world now than it was back then.

	I got to hunt sharptail grouse and prairie chicken while out
there. It was funny, the first birds I ever hunted in my life were
prairie chicken and I couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 years old. I
still remembered how they will all stick their heads up so you can see
right where they are when you are hunting. They just can't resist for
for some reason.

	As to old tractors, South Dakota seemed to have a pretty good
mix of old stuff and the newer ones. Most of the old tractors I saw
were in the Mitchell area and were pretty well worn right out. I think
Gene Dotson got all the good ones years ago.

Cecil