[Farmall] running a Farmall H on ethanol

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Sun Sep 4 16:33:33 PDT 2005

The differences in views may be less a question of rumors, debunking and
wishful thinking than different analysis, different consideration of
facts, and different timing among those looking at the situation.  There
are plenty of sources on the Internet for the debate but the following is
(in my humble opinion) fairly balanced:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/27/ETHANOL.TMP

    I hope that ethanol does pay off, but in this area with the drought in
this area and increase in fuel prices, it sure looks like we are using a
lot of expensive fossil fuels to produce what goes to the ethanol plants
and there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine.

Now to antique tractors....wasn't one of the selling points for purchasing
the first tractor is that the farmer did not have to feed it all year like
the horses/mules?   Maybe horses/mules did not pay out either at the time
so we now have antique tractors.   Lots of ways to look at things.

Larry H.

Tommy Wilson <t17wilson at cox.net>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
09/04/2005 05:05 PM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

cc

Subject
Re[2]: [Farmall] running a Farmall H on ethanol

And the USDA doesn't have a horse in that race either......OK, back to
antique tractors....

At 01:52 PM 9/4/05 -0400, you wrote:
>On 9/4/2005 at 9:19 AM Tommy Wilson wrote:
> >That is if you throw away all the studies that show that it burns just
as
> >much dinosaur fuel to produce the ethanol so you aren't saving anything
in

> >the end. It does help the farmers, but doesn't save any fuel....
> >

>Not to pick on you Tommy, but I have seen this on the AT tractor list too
>and I hear it often enough elsewhere -  I can't keep quiet.
>
>In short:  This is an untrue rumor that just won't die.  All crops based
>fuels have better efficiency than anything else.  Below is just one study
>in dozens that have shown it.  It is a USDA/DOE research on whether
biofuel
>should displace solar and petrochemical fuels but specifically discusses
>this point.  Here is the link:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel
>
>To quote for those who don't want to read the whole article right now:
>
>" A 1998 joint study by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the U.S.
>Department of Agriculture (USDA) traced many of the various costs
involved
>in the production of Biodiesel and found that overall, it yields 3.2
units
>of fuel product energy for every unit of fossil fuel energy consumed. [3]
>That measure is referred to as the energy yield. A comparison to
petroleum
>diesel, petroleum gasoline and bioethanol using the USDA numbers can be
>found at the Minnesota Department of Agriculture website. In the
comparison
>petroleum diesel fuel is found to have a 0.843 energy yield, along with
>0.805 for petroleum gasoline, and 1.34 for bioethanol. The 1998 study
used
>soybean oil primarily as the base oil to calculate the energy yields. It
is
>conceivable that higher oil yielding crops could increase the energy
yield
>of Biodiesel."
>
>I wanted to post this to straighten out the facts so folks can make
>informed choices.  Also I needed to steer discussion back to subjects
>antique tractors are relevant in (-;   Rising this nation's fuel would be
>relevant.
>
>PS  The USDA says ethanol is has 1.62 efficiency ratio, not the 1.34
>Minnesota found
>
>Spencer Yost
>Owner, ATIS
>Plow the Net!