[AT] Help--sickle grinders

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Sep 3 08:36:32 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ernie Thackeray" <cchopper at mchsi.com>
To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 6:51 AM
Subject: RE: [AT] Help--sickle grinders

> I don't ever plan to own a sickle mower, if that tells you the memories
> I have.  The new serrated sections are a vast improvement.
> Have fun.
> Ernie
One thing I am surprised nobody has mentioned is the new style of "bolt on"
sickle sections. I have gradually converted most of the cutting machines on
this farm to the bolt ons which sure speeds up sickle replacement when one
breaks. No need to carry the riveting tool along any more. Just a few spare
bolts. These are quite a strong bolt with a self locking nut. The bolt has a
serrated or knurled shoulder that really locks into the knife back as it is
tightened up. The bolts are more expensive than rivets of course but can
last a lot longer since I don't have to replace them every time a sickle
breaks.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/