[AT] Help--sickle grinders

Ernie Thackeray cchopper at mchsi.com
Sat Sep 3 05:51:50 PDT 2005

John,
I don't post very often but this subject did bring back memories, and
not the best ones either.  My dad must not have been the strong farmer
that was mentioned in another post because I had to be on the long end
of the sickle.  Holding the long end was not the problem, but having the
same movement as Dad did was a problem, I can still hear Dad and his
choice words.  Dad's was like another one that has been mentioned, it
would do a few sections before you had to move the sickle and re clamp
it.  You are correct, a new stone would sharpen on side of two mating
sections at the same time, but with movement of the sickle.

I don't ever plan to own a sickle mower, if that tells you the memories
I have.  The new serrated sections are a vast improvement.
Have fun.
Ernie

Take care,
Ernie