[AT] Canola

CBear81438 at aol.com CBear81438 at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 05:16:12 PDT 2005

Well most of the weeds do not survie the winter.  I am hoping i can get
enough of a stand established to allow the sheep to graze the weeds left before
they get too tough that they will not eat them.  If my fences were sheep proof, I
would have let them grze the entire summer.  Maybe next year.  There is a lot
to be said for grzing as a means of weeding.

As I understand Canola, we plant it now or a little earlier, then it provides
pasture until about dec 15, then it is grzed down for the winter, and comes
back in march and will produce a seed crop.    I ran out of Canola because my
drill will not cut down enough on the seeding rate.  I planted about 2 times
the amount I needed to.  So I ran out while going around the 6 acre field on the
hill.  I finished up with Triticale.  If the canola blooms in the spring and
tghe triticale is still green, it will look like a big eyeball from the air...
  Hmm, how could we charge admission to this???!!!!

Had I known that I would run out of seed, I would have sowed it a little
different.  Really hard to plant a microscopic crop seed such as Canola....

Gotta get back on the tractor

Cecil in OKla