[AT] Case 580D Questions

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 19:24:18 PDT 2005

--- Matthew <matthewx at dogod.com> wrote:

> 1) If I take the pump all the way off, is there a
> process that can re-fill
> and re-drill and tap the holes in the ears?  That
> seems to be the prefered
> way to mount it.

Matthew, can you Heli-coil or Keen-sert it?  Welding
is not a good thing on a pump, IMHO.

> 2) All of the cylinders are starting to fall "open"
> as it failed in use and
> could not be moved at all.  Is there anything I can
> or shuold rub on the
> exposed parts of the cylenders to keep them from
> pitting?  I was thinking
> somethign like vasoline perhaps, or even just a good
> rub down with hytran
> every so oftten.

A short time (month or so) shouldn't hurt them, but by
all means a coating of something is better.  Normally
the residual oil film is replaced enough to protect
rods.  The rubdown with hyd. oil is a good idea, it
also helps you to keep an eye on things.

> 3) will this project ever end?  This has to be the
> most miserable thing I
> have ever had the pleasure to work on.  FOlks who
> wrench on these for a
> living have my complete respect!

And a big thank-you for that one!!!

Dave