[AT] Gasoline $

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Sep 1 09:33:06 PDT 2005

A further point of clarification about oil prices: Most of the US oil
companies have either their own wells or ones that they have contracted
for at fixed prices. When the domestic supply isn't enough, they get oil
from outside the US - the middle east, the north sea, southeast Asia,
Russia and its neighbors, Nigeria, Venezuela, Mexico, etc. most of those
sources they either own or have long term contracts for at fixed prices.
Any shortfall in those sources is made up on the "spot" market - an
unregulated international commodities market. And it is the spot market
where the $66+/barrel price comes from. Most of the oil they acquire
cost much, much less than that. And the oil they acquire from outside
the country takes anywhere from two weeks to 2 months to get to the
refinery, depending on how long it takes for the tankers to make the
trip. So today's price on the spot market has little to do with the
production cost of the gasoline delivered today to your local service
station. Unfortunately, you won't read or hear that in the media reports.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell
whether a man is wise by his questions.
-Naguib Mahfouz, writer (1911- )