[AT] ford 4000 diesel

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Sep 20 08:15:21 PDT 2005

It sounds like you might want to see your local New Holland tractor
dealer and order a copy of the Owner's manual. I believe they are still
available for the 4000.

It is hard for me to figure out what those images are, as you got a
little too close for me see where they are in relation to the rest of
the tractor. One pedal is definitely a differential lock. The crusted
"knob" I believe is a vent, but the rest I can't tell. The lever near
the lift control is the draft control and should be left up. There is
another knob that controls the speed of the hitch drop - that is
designed to be able to adjust the drop between heavy and light implements.

One thing with any Ford tractor I have ever dealt with: the hitch is
always power up and gravity down. I have seen auxiliary cylinders
installed on post hole augers to provide positive down pressure, but
then you run the risk of damaging the auger - I sold more than one
replacement to people who had broken or twisted the originals by putting
too much down pressure. The augers are designed to pull themselves down,
and if you have to force them, then something is wrong. You may also
need to replace the teeth on the end of the auger. If you encounter
roots or rocks, no amount of downforce will overcome those impediments -
you just have to dig and use a bar or ax, as appropriate.

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -Flannery
O'Connor, writer (1925-1964)