[AJD] Unusual looking Model L

J.R. Hobbs jrhobbs2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 20:44:42 PDT 2005

Well, I guess you're entitled to your opinion.  Parts of the story are true, sort of, but development of a small tractor didn't begin at Deere at the behest of just one man. No doubt that the man mentioned  certainly may have had some input on the design, and may have done some field testing, but I know for a fact that work had begun before 1936.  There are other errors in the story as well, but I won't dwell on them. The first "Y", and "62" Tractors certainly didn't sell for $375.00. The timeline described in the story just plain is not true.  There were other inaccuracies as well----The President of Deere at the time was Charles Deere Wiman, not John Deere Wyman, etc.

The point is, when this kind of stuff gets published, it somehow becomes "fact", and I guess that I just don't like to see inaccurate information published. I have no problem with a tribute to someone. I just want it to be factual, because these kinds of errors do the hobby a disservice, in my view.

And, quite frankly, I'm sick to death of the "correct police" bullshit, which is a favorite term on a website I won't bother to mention.  I don't believe that being correct as possible with information and/or restoration is wrong.  The term is misunderstood, anyway, as it was coined to describe those people who think they know it all, but actually don't know much of anything, yet feel that they have the right to criticize the work of others. I've not yet seen a restoration I couldn't find a flaw in if I looked hard enough, but it's not my business to say anything about it to the owner.  Most people do the best they can with the knowledge they have, and the budget they have to work with. On the other hand, there are people who take no little pride in doing as many things as wrong as they can, because they somehow percieve that it's going to irritate people. That's their choice, I guess.

Chris C <jdnutinwa at yahoo.com> wrote:
JR -

I think that's pretty poor to poo poo a story in
a local paper about a piece of history returning to
the area, with the story being told be family members
about the actions of another family member.

I don't know enough about the background behind
the design of that tractor to know the truth, but I
wonder who would twist the truth more? The
manufacturer of the machine, or the guy that designed
or helped design it.. Sound like the correct police
to me...

Or perhaps I am just oversensitive given my highly
agitatable state...

Chris

wrote:http://www.southbendtribune.com/stories/2005/09/09/local.20050909-sbt-MICH-B1-Homecoming_parade_of.sto