[AT] Re[2]: [Farmall] running a Farmall H on ethanol

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Sep 4 18:55:01 PDT 2005

Thanks for speaking out, Spencer.  I appreciate it.  My wife and I just
returned from spending nearly a month on the road touring across the
country everywhere from western Pennsylvania to central Colorado and
back.  Of course the octane rating of the available gas blend changes
considerably across the country depending on the elevation etc.  Typical
low grade gas in the low elevations is 87, but along the eastern slope
of the Rockies, it's 85.  All across Nebraska and Iowa, they're blending
the low grade gas with ethanol to get the mid-grade fuel but are selling
it for less than the low grade because of subsidies.  I used the ethanol
blend (89) in the Jeep for better than 1000 miles and had better mileage
with it than with the regular blend.  If I have the story right, the
ethanol blend is now mandated in Iowa.

Casey's convenience stores typically sell two grades of gasoline --
unleaded regular and the ethanol blend. Their pricing varies, but most
of the time they sell both octanes at the same price and every once in a
while the ethanol blend is a nickel per gallon cheaper.  But of course
I'm talking about what conditions were like before Katrina.

As we are accustomed to saying on this list -- YMMV.  :-)

Larry