[Steam-engine] email from state boiler inspector

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Sat Oct 22 09:31:02 PDT 2005

G'day all;
  The below is an email from the state boiler inspector regarding the
proceedure he will use to access our boiler..might be helpful info for the
newbee:

Rick,

The following is an outline of the procedure we will follow to evaluate and
compute the pressure capabilities of your fire-tube vertical boiler
(Manufacturer unknown).

Pre Hydrostatic Procedure- The State of Montana will perform ultra-sound
metal thickness testing on your boiler at no cost to you, to determine metal
thickness at various random locations. The data produced will be used to
calculate the maximum allowable water pressure
(MAWP) of your boiler.

Hydrostatic test Procedure- Upon successful completion of the ultrasound, a
hydrostatic test will be performed as per Section One of the ASME code
(Power Boilers) and the NBIC (National Board Inspection Code) Appendix C, to
determine vessel integrity.

If the boiler passes the hydrostatic test we can proceed with the fitting of
Boiler safety devices and accessories to meet State Codes.

Rick, I think this will be a great project and am looking forward to working
with you and Corky!