[Steam-engine] Wachs boiler update

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Thu Oct 20 06:19:48 PDT 2005

Hi Rick!
     Actually, removing the tubes from a boiler that is undocumented and has
been sitting a while is not
all that uncommon. We have had the inspector ask us to do so on two
different upright boilers at the
museum. On the first one, there were no leaks during hydro, he just wanted
to see the water line area
of the shell. The second one needed tubes anyways. It is a little work, but
not that big of a deal, to
re-tube one of these.
     From your posts, I have surmised that you may have a "submerged top
flue sheet" type of boiler,
where the water is carried above the top flue sheet. If this is correct,
rolling the top of the flues is a
little tricky if the inner wall of the top section "cones in" as it
approaches the top of the boiler, but it
still should not be a big problem. Get your boiler inspector involved now,
find out what he wants, and
do it. You don't want to get this thing all fixed up and find out he won't
pass it because he has doubts
about it's condition. Give him every opportunity to get to know the boiler,
it will improve your chances
if it's steamworthy. With the tubes out, you will be able to see what's up
with that bottom flue sheet,
too.
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy