[Steam-engine] wood bearings

Lawrence Swanz LSwanz at superioriron.com
Tue Oct 18 13:37:21 PDT 2005

James,

I believe what you meant to say was a "Wolfe Valve", not the "Marsh".  The "Marsh Gear" has two gears, one tied to the crankshaft and the other attaches to the valve linkage.  The theory being that with the valve straight horizontally with the crank shaft that the valve has no or very little movement.  However, when it is rotate above or below the center of the crankshaft center line, that you obtain valve motion.  Anyone, am I incorrect on my understanding of the "Marsh Valve"?

Lawrence