[AT] Tractor

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Oct 17 15:25:08 PDT 2005

On 17 Oct 2005 at 16:58, Richard Fink Sr wrote:

> Thanks Phil and Gary i will see if there is any adjustment
> left then go from there. This unit had a new motor put in
> just before i purchased it i hoped they put in a new
clutch.
> But as some case tractors have a wet clutch was not sure
> about this one. I have scored all the manuals but the
main
> tractor on e bay. R Fink
>

> At 08:38 AM 10/17/2005 -0500, you wrote:
> >The shudder is clutch chatter. Usually caused by a
flywheel
> >that's not perfectly smooth or bad springs in the clutch
> >plate or both. Sounds to me like it's time to split that
> >puppy and replace the clutch and maybe surface the
> >flywheel.
> >
> >Phil

	Additionally, ( not instead of) be sure to check the pilot
bearing. Some are bushings and some are ball bearings.
Either way a loose one will let the tranny input shaft try
to wobble around and make the clutch chatter. It is a
little like trying to set a disk sander down flat and fire
it up...   :-)
	We had a Ferguson that the dealer had put a clutch in many
years ago. When we put a clutch in it later the pilot
bearing was a very thick walled brass bushing pressed into
a fairly large hole in the flywheel. I don't know if it was
original or not. It was badly worn and the clutch would
really growl with the pedal down. When we bought a new
bearing for it it was a ball bearing unit. It fit the hole
in the flywheel perfectly and the growl was gone. I believe
that I had looked at the cut-away picture in the original
manual and it pictured a ball bearing there. Maybe the
brass bushing was a cheapie replacement that the dealer had
used.
Good luck.

--
"farmer"
Hewick Midwest

The master in the art of living makes little distinction
between his
work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and
his body,
his information and his recreation, his love and his
religion. He
hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision
of
excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide
whether he
is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.
 ~ James A. Michener, attributed

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net